Hobo Dinner Foil Packets are a simple and comforting meal that everyone will love! It’s a complete and hearty meal made with seasoned hamburger patties, potatoes, carrots, and onions, all cooked to tender perfection. This recipe reminds me of the delicious meals my mother used to make for the hard-working folks during fall harvest time. It’s a convenient and delicious meal that is perfect for serving to your hungry family!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 large or 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef and dry onion soup mix. Form into four patties and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, carrots, onions, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss until well mixed.
- Spray a 12″ x 18″ piece of foil with non-stick spray.
- Place 1/4 of the vegetable mixture in the center of the foil. Top with 1 beef patty. Add 2 tablespoons of condensed mushroom soup on top of each patty.
- Seal the foil packets well. Place the beef side up on a large baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
Tips and Variations
- For larger appetites, you can include 2 hamburger patties (side by side, not stacked) on top of the veggies.
- Use fresh veggies available in your garden or the local market. Green beans, bell peppers, and Brussels sprouts are great options.
- You can substitute ground turkey for ground beef. Just add a tablespoon of olive oil to the meat patty mixture to keep it moist.
- The packets can be cooked in the oven or on the grill. If using the grill, use a second layer of foil to seal the packets and prevent any leaks.
- Instead of foil, you can use parchment paper when baking in the oven.
Hobo Dinner Foil Packets are not only delicious but also convenient. They can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. It’s perfect for busy days or when you’re planning a harvest dinner for hungry workers in your family.
Enjoy these tasty foil packets and savor the flavors of a complete meal cooked to perfection!