Introducing the Classic Chicken a la King – a rich and creamy dish made completely from scratch. This easy dinner recipe is incredibly versatile as it can be served over rice, pasta, toast, or biscuits!
Yes, you can freeze Chicken a la King, but it’s best enjoyed fresh. However, if you still want to freeze this delectable dish, simply wait for it to cool down, then place it in convenient freezer-safe containers or freezer bags. It will stay frozen and delicious for up to 1 month!
While you can certainly enjoy Chicken a la King on its own, it is traditionally served over other accompaniments. Some popular choices include plain pasta (any shape you prefer), fluffy rice, or even toasted bread or biscuits. Explore and find your favorite combination!
Absolutely! Over the years, many people have gotten creative with Chicken a la King and replaced the chicken with tuna. This swap results in a delightful tuna dish that seafood lovers will adore. To make Tuna a la King, simply substitute the chicken in this recipe with approximately 4 cups of high-quality tuna. Enjoy the flavorful twist!
Looking to cut down on the calories without compromising on taste? No problem! The egg yolks and heavy cream used in step 3 of this recipe are responsible for creating a rich and creamy sauce. If you’re aiming to reduce calories, simply omit these two ingredients and skip step number three altogether. You’ll still have a delicious Chicken a la King with a lighter touch!
When a recipe calls for pre-cooked chicken, there are several convenient options you can explore. Here are a few suggestions to make your cooking experience smoother:
- Rotisserie Chicken: Many grocery stores offer cooked rotisserie chickens that you can easily buy and shred. Some stores even have pre-shredded and packaged rotisserie chicken for added convenience.
- Frozen Cooked Chicken: Check out the freezer section of your grocery store for pre-cooked chicken strips and chunks.
- Bake Your Own Chicken: Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then bake them in a lightly greased 9×13 pan at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes. After cooking, chop the chicken into chunks and use immediately or freeze for later use.
- Boil Your Own Chicken: Place chicken breasts into a large pot of boiling water or chicken broth. Boil for 15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. Then, shred or chop the chicken as desired.
- Quick Skillet Chicken: Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, and place the chicken breasts into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes per side. This method provides a quick and flavorful option for pre-cooked chicken.
With these convenient pre-cooked chicken options, you can save time and still enjoy the deliciousness of Chicken a la King.
Now, gather your ingredients, put on your apron, and let’s get cooking!